top of page
  • Writer's pictureThe Dr. Lawyer Law Group

Out-of-State Car Accident? Here's how You can Protect Your Rights

Getting into a car accident is a stressful experience, and it can be even more overwhelming when the accident happens in a different state than the one you live in. Thankfully, though, the process of handling an out-of-state car accident is not unusually different than if the accident occurred in your home state.

If you find yourself in this situation, it's important to know what steps to take to protect yourself and your rights. In this post, we'll go over some important tips on what to do if you're in an out-of-state car accident.

Stay at the scene and call for help:

Regardless of where the accident occurs, it's crucial to stay at the scene until help arrives. Call 911 to report the accident and ask for medical assistance if needed. Also understand that, depending on where your car accident occurs, police may not respond to the accident unless there are serious injuries involved.

Gather information:

Collect as much information as possible about the other driver, including their name, phone number, and insurance information. Take photos of the accident scene, including any damage to both vehicles and any injuries sustained.

If your vehicle is disabled, it’s also important that you know the company that is towing your vehicle and where your vehicle will be stored. Be sure to relay this information to your insurance company, discussed below.

Contact your insurance company:

Notify your insurance company of the accident as soon as possible. Provide them with the details of the accident and any information you gathered at the scene. Many insurance companies have 24-hour phone lines you can call to report the car accident.

Depending on the insurance coverage you purchased, your policy may cover expenses like tow trucks. Additionally, your insurance company can also find you a local repair shop after your car accident.

Seek medical attention:

Even if you don't feel any immediate pain or injuries, it's still important to seek medical attention. Some injuries may not show symptoms right away, and it's important to document any injuries for insurance purposes. This can be very difficult while traveling out of state, but if you are able to, even a visit to an Urgent Care or similar medical provider can help your claim down the road.

Contact an attorney:

If you're involved in an out-of-state car accident, it's a good idea to consult with a personal injury attorney who is licensed in the state where the accident occurred. They can advise you on your rights and help you navigate the legal process. Attorneys from your home state may also be able to recommend attorneys in the state that the accident occurred.

If you’re an Arizona resident who’s been injured in a car accident in a different state, The Dr. Lawyer Law Group may still be able to help you. We will try to answer your questions and can work with out-of-state personal injury firms to get you the best representation and medical treatment available.

Follow-up on your claim:

Make sure to follow up with your insurance company and any legal representation you may have hired to ensure that your claim is being properly handled. Keep track of any expenses or losses you incur as a result of the accident, no matter how small the expense may be.

At The Dr. Lawyer Law Group, we do the follow-up for you. We work hard to ensure that the insurance adjuster assigned to your case doesn’t keep pushing your case to the end of their to-do list. And, we help you keep track of your medical records, billing, and other expenses.

In summary, if you find yourself in an out-of-state car accident, it's important to stay calm and take the necessary steps to protect yourself and your rights. Gather information, seek medical attention, and contact a personal injury firm like The Dr. Lawyer Law Group so we can help guide you through the legal process. By taking these steps, you can ensure that you're properly compensated for any losses or damages incurred as a result of the accident.


bottom of page